Do you want to learn how to hide bookmarks bar on new tab page in google chrome browser? Here’s how to hide bookmarks bar in chrome new tab instantly.
We all use various web browsers to access the internet. In fact, you’re using one right now to read this, and I’m willing to bet that you are using Google Chrome or another chromium-based browser like Microsoft Edge or Opera.
Browsers offer many features, and one of them is quick and easy access to sites we frequently visit via the bookmarks bar. Are you wondering how to hide bookmarks bar in Chrome new tab? Or are you looking for the best ways to remove bookmarks bar from Chrome permanently? If yes, you’re in the right place.
In this guide, we will be taking a look at how you can hide bookmarks bar in Chrome and how to disable bookmarks bar in Chrome. So, without further ado, let us dive right in.
What is a Bookmarks Bar?
A bookmark bar is a bar that appears at the top of your browsers and allows you to save your favorite websites so you can open them in a single click. You can save individual webpages or combine multiple webpages in a folder and open all of them with just a single click.
What is the Purpose of the Other Bookmarks Folder in Chrome?
The other bookmarks folder allows you to bookmark websites but keep it hidden from plain view. Bookmarks that you use less frequently or deem to be not very important can be saved in other bookmarks folders.
You can also collect personal bookmarks there, which you don’t want others to see. The other bookmarks folder does not have any particular purpose as such. If you wish, you can remove the folder altogether.
Do you know? How to Always Open Chrome in Incognito Mode on Windows 11
How to Hide Bookmarks Bar in Chrome Homepage
There are multiple ways to hide the bookmarks bar on Chrome. Some of the most effective ones that I have personally tested are:
Method 1: Using the Keyboard Shortcuts
The first method is also the simplest one of them all. You can disable bookmarks bar using simple keyboard shortcuts. To do so:
- Open the Chrome browser.
- Press Control + Shift + B.
- The bookmarks bar will now be hidden on the home page.
Do note that the bookmark bar can be hidden only if there’s no bookmark saved in it through this method. Other methods will allow you to hide bookmarks bar more effectively.
Method 2: Using the Chrome Settings
Google Chrome also allows us to disable the bookmarks bar via the Settings. However, make sure you are running the latest version of Chrome before proceeding. Here we go:
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Click on the 3 vertical dots from the top right corner.
- A drop down menu will open, click on Settings.
- A new settings tab will open, click on the Appearance from the left hand side.
- Look for the Show bookmarks bar toggle and switch it off.
That’s it! The Chrome bookmarks bar will now be hidden. If this doesn’t work for you, then worry not. We still have a few more helpful methods.
Method 3: Using the Bookmarks Menu
This is another simple and easy method that allows you to disable bookmarks bar in Chrome. You have to simply:
- Open the Chrome browser.
- Click on the 3 vertical dots from the top right.
- The drop down menu will open, hover on Bookmarks.
- A contextual side menu will open, click on Show bookmarks bar to hide the bookmarks bar on Chrome.
The bookmarks bar will now be hidden on Google Chrome web browser.
Method 4: Right-Clicking on the Bookmarks Bar
It can’t get easier than this method. To quickly hide bookmarks bar in Chrome using the bookmark bar itself:
- Open the Google Chrome web browser.
- Right click on an empty area in the bookmarks bar.
- Click on Show bookmarks bar so that there’s no tick mark beside it.
That’s all. You would have hidden the Google Chrome bookmarks bar by now.
Do you know? Where are Google Chrome Passwords Stored in Windows 11?
How to Hide Bookmarks Bar in Chrome New Tab
Most of these methods we outlined above will help you in getting rid of the bookmarks bar from the Google Chrome home page but they won’t disable the bookmarks bar completely (not from the new tab in Chrome).
But the Earth View from Google Earth extension allows you to disable the bookmarks bar completely. To hide bookmarks bar on new tab page, follow these steps:
- Open the Chrome browser and visit the Chrome Web Store.
- On the chrome web store, search for Earth View from Google Earth and then open it.
- Now click on the Add to Chrome button which is located just next to Earth View from Google Earth.
- And then allow the extension to install by clicking on the Add extension button.
- Once the extension is installed, you will be greeted with a beautiful image whenever you open a new tab.
- Now you can easily hide or remove bookmark bar Chrome new tab.
This extension helps you get rid of distraction and the bookmarks bar and shows you beautiful images. If none of these methods helped you remove bookmarks bar from Chrome, there’s still one last method you can try.
You might also like: How to Install Google Chrome Extensions on Android Devices
How to Remove Bookmark Bar in Chrome New Tab [Using Registry Editor]
**Disclaimer: Tinkering with the registry can be very harmful to your computer. You can brick your device. Only attempt it if you are a power user and very desperate. We take no responsibility for damages.
Follow these steps to learn how to hide bookmarks bar in chrome new tab completely:
- At first, press Windows + R keys togethor to open the Run dialog-box.
- Type regedit in it and press Enter.
- Navigate to the following key:
- Now right-click on the Policies key and then select New > Key and then name this key Google.
- Next, right-click on the Google key and then select New > Key and then name this key Chrome.
- Now open the Chrome key and right click on the right side panel and create a new DWORD (32-bit) key by slecting Key > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name it as BookmarkBarEnabled and set the Value data to 0.
- Once done, save it and exit the Registry Editor and then reboot your computer.
Now open the Google Chrome browser and check if the bookmarks bar is removed or not.
This is how you can hide bookmarks bar on new tab page in Chrome by modifying the registry. If you want to enable the bookmarks bar, follow the same steps as above, change the value to 1 instead of 0 or delete the entry altogether, and the bookmark bar will come back.
Note: Sometimes, users who use this method get a Your browser is managed by your organization error message. This is usually harmless. You won’t be able to manually change settings of the bookmarks bar once you change the registry, so think before you proceed with changing the registry key.
How to Hide Bookmarks Bar on New Tab Page in Google Chrome
We hope this guide here answered all your questions like what is the purpose of bookmarks bar, how to remove bookmarks from Chrome homepage, and how to hide bookmarks bar in Chrome new tab page completely and permanently.
If you have any more questions or want us to help you with any other Google Chrome browser issues that you are facing, feel free to comment below, and we will help you out.
You may also be interested in checking out:
- How to Fix Error Your connection is not private in Chrome
- Where are Chrome Bookmarks Stored in Windows 10 PC?
- How to Install Google Chrome Extensions on Microsoft Edge
- How to Automatically Clear Browsing History in Chrome on Exit