Windows 10 SuperFetch (Prefetch) service – Do you want to learn how to enable or disable SuperFetch in Windows 10 / 8 / 7 operating system?
SuperFetch is a memory management system service in the Microsoft Windows operating system which was firstly introduced with Windows Vista. You will find the SuperFetch feature in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 operating system. Many people still don’t know – What SuperFetch is and how to enable or disable SuperFetch in Windows 10 / 8 / 7 OS?
If you are also one of those Windows users who are not familiar with SuperFetch then you can have a look below and find out everything you need to know about Windows 10 SuperFetch and how it works. Here we go:
What’s SuperFetch and How it Works?
Basically, SuperFetch is a built-in Windows service which is specifically designed to pre-loads commonly used applications into memory to reduce their load times. In short, SuperFetch technology is responsible for improving loading times for both Windows and all installed applications.
Image credit: mobilescout.com
With the help of this service, Windows OS manages the amount of random access memory which is available in a machine. You can think of SuperFetch as part of the memory manager of Windows computers. PreFetcher is a sibling of SuperFetch which was available in Windows XP. There are two basic goals of SuperFetch Windows 10 feature with one being to decrease the boot time and other one to make sure that the applications which you are using on your computer are loading efficiently.
According to some peoples, sometimes SuperFetch service can affect the overall performance of few particular applications. And this is the main reason that people want to know the exact process of enabling SuperFetch and disabling SuperFetch in Windows 10 or 8 or 7 operating system.
How to Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows 10 / 8 / 7
It is very easy to enable or disable SuperFetch in Windows 10 PC. All you have to do is follow the steps mentioned below and you will be able to disable or enable SuperFetch in Windows 10 operating system.
Here we are going to share two different methods to enable and disable Windows 10 SuperFetch service and you can follow any method out of these two. Here’s how:
Method 1: Disable SuperFetch using Windows Services
Disabling SuperFetch service using Windows Services is the simplest procedure and it doesn’t take too much time. Follow the steps shared below to disables SuperFetch in Windows 10 using the Windows Services:
- First of all, open Run dialog box by pressing the combination of Windows + R keys together.
- Once the Run dialog box is opened, type services.msc in it and then press Enter.
- The Services window will appear on your computer. From the list of services, find out “SuperFetch“.
- Once you have located SuperFetch service, right-click on it and then select “Properties” option.
- Now click on the “Stop“ button in order to disable SuperFetch and then select the “Disabled” option from the Startup type section.
Thus, you can see how simple is to disable Windows 10 SuperFetch using Windows service.
Method 2: Enable or Disable SuperFetch using Windows Registry
The use of Windows Registry is another best possible way to enable and disable SuperFetch on Windows 10 computer. Follow the instructions explained below for enabling Windows 10 SuperFetch and disabling SuperFetch in Windows 10 using Windows Registry. Here’s how:
- At first, open Run dialog box by pressing the combination of Windows + R keys together.
- Once the Run dialog box is opened, type regedit in it and then press Enter to open Registry editor.
- Now navigate to the below-mentioned registry location:
- On the right side, simply double-click on “EnableSuperFetch” option.
- If you don’t see this value then just right-click on “PrefetchParameters” folder and then select New > DWORD Value option.
- Now you have to provide PrefetchParameters one of the below-mentioned values:
0 – To disable SuperFetch
1 – To enable prefetching when program is launched
2 – To enable boot prefetching
3 – To enable prefetching of everything
- Once you have entered the relevant value, finally click on OK button and then close the registry editor. That’s it!
We hope you found some best ways to enable or disable SuperFetch in Windows 10 / 8 / 7 system. SuperFetch will help you in optimizing the RAM of your computer and giving you a better user experience. If you are having any doubts or questions regarding SuperFetch Windows 10 or enabling and disabling Windows 10 SuperFetch, let us know using the comments section below.
You might also like to see: How to Fix MMC could not create the snap-in Windows 10