Are you feeling bothered because your ASUS laptop keyboard backlight not working on Windows 10? Here’s how to fix Asus keyboard backlight not working problem.
ASUS makes some great products in the personal computing space, Laptops, all-in-ones, and whatnot. Are you the owner of an Asus laptop which worked well for a long time but has had the keyboard backlight not working lately?
Is your ASUS keyboard backlight not working after the recent Windows update? Want to know how to fix ASUS laptop keyboard backlight not working on windows 10? We have all the answers you ask.
In this guide, we will take a look at the ASUS keyboard backlight not working Windows 10 issue and we will also explain what are the main reasons behind laptop keyboard light not working on Asus laptops as well as on laptops by other OEMs.
So, without further ado, let’s jump right in and get the answer to your question, how to fix Asus keyboard backlight not working on Windows 10 operating systems? Let’s begin.
How to Enable the Backlight Keyboard on ASUS Laptop
In the cases when your ASUS laptop keyboard backlight not working on Windows 10, your foremost priority should be to check if your laptop supports keyboard backlighting. If the F3 and F4 keys have a keyboard symbol with a sun coming out of it then keyboard backlight is supported on your device.
If you have a laptop with a basic single color backlight then enabling and controlling the keyboard backlight is fairly easy. You can easily change the intensity and turn the backlight on or off using the following keyboard shortcuts keys:
- Press the Fn (Function key) on your keyboard which is usually found near the left or right Alt Key.
- And then press the F4 key while pressing Fn Key
Once you press these shortcuts keys properly, it will enable the backlight keyboard on your ASUS laptop.
In case, if you wish to dim the keyboard backlight or increase its intensity:
- Press Fn + F4 keys together to increase the brightness.
- Press Fn + F3 keys together to reduce the brightness and turn it off.
If you have a gaming laptop that comes with a keyboard with RGB backlight then you can use ASUS Armoury crate to customize the backlight.
The Potential Causes of Why ASUS Laptop Keyboard Backlight Not Working
Before moving forward and start following the solutions, let’s learn about the possible reasons behind ASUS laptop keyboard backlight not working on Windows 10 first. Well, there are many reasons that can cause the ASUS laptop keyboard light not working error and some of them are:
- Corrupt or Incorrect Drivers: Sometimes the drivers can get corrupted after a Windows update. Updates to certain software can also make the previous drivers incompatible.
- Error State or Incorrect Boot Condition: If the system was unable to boot properly and fails to go through all the pre-boot checks then the system may cause the keyboard backlight not working error.
- Hardware Malfunctions: In rare cases, the hardware starts to deteriorate and malfunctions which cause issues with keyboard backlights.
- Major System Updates: If you are running Windows 10 then you must be familiar with the irritating updates Microsoft keeps pushing to devices. Many times, these updates are what cause the Asus laptop keyboard backlight not working error.
How to Fix ASUS Laptop Keyboard Backlight Not Working on Windows 10
Since now we know what are the circumstances that can cause the ASUS keyboard backlight not working issue, it’s time to check out the solutions to deal with it. Here we have described some of the quickest ways to fix ASUS laptop keyboard backlight not working on Windows 10 issue so that you can apply them straightforwardly and get back your keyboard backlight operating smoothly again like before. The top four methods which I personally recommend are:
Method 1: Power Cycle Your ASUS laptop
Power cycling a system means to shut it down completely, drain any leftover static and reboot again. Power cycling helps reset any temporary configurations or errors that usually cause keyboard backlight not working errors. Make sure to save all your work before you power cycle to ensure that you don’t lose data.
Follow these steps and learn how to power cycle your ASUS laptop in order to get rid of keyboard backlight not working problem:
- At first, Shut down your Windows 10 system.
- Remove the power cord or charger which may be attached.
- Take out the battery from your laptop, you will need to unlock it from the bottom of the laptop to remove it.
- Click and hold the power button on your laptop for 10 seconds with the battery removed. This will discharge any static that may be built up.
- Wait for 5 to 10 minutes and then assemble your laptop with the battery.
- Turn your laptop on to check if the Asus laptop keyboard backlight not working issue is resolved.
In most cases, this method fixes the Asus keyboard backlight not working Windows 10 error. But if this method doesn’t fix your issue then move to the next one.
Method 2: Reinstall the Keyboard Driver Manually (with latest ATK)
If the power cycling your ASUS laptop didn’t fix the keyboard backlight not working issue that means the problem is on the software or hardware level. This solution will help you fix the AUS laptop keyboard light not working issue if it is on the software level.
Follow these instructions and learn how to reinstall the keyboard driver Manually and get the latest ATK drivers for the keyboard:
- At first, check the model number for your laptop. This is usually found on the bottom of the laptop on a sticker with the serial number.
- After that, navigate to the official Download Center of ASUS.
- Enter the model name you found in step one in the box on the left or manually search for your model from the drop-down menus.
- Once found, select the OS you are running on. In most cases, it will be Windows 10 64-bit.
- Scroll down on the page and once you find ATK, click on the Download button beside it. Wait for the download to complete.
- Once downloaded, click on the zip file and extract it to your desired location.
- Finally, double-click on the Setup.exe file to run the installation wizard and then follow the instructions on the screen to install it.
Once the installation is completed, your keyboard backlight should be back on. If still not, restart your laptop and check if the ASUS laptop keyboard light not working glitch is resolved.
This is another quick and easy method that should fix the AUSU laptop keyboard backlight not working on Windows 10 problem. In case if it doesn’t, we have a few more tricks up our sleeves.
Method 3: Execute the HControl.exe Program
If you want to try this method, make sure that you have installed the latest ATK package (as we have explained in the above method) because the HControl.exe program we are going to execute is within this ATK package. So, once you have installed all the drivers that are needed, you can manually try to start and execute the HControl.exe program which is responsible for managing the keyboard backlighting module.
Follow these steps and learn how to find the HControl.exe program and execute it to get rid of AUSU laptop keyboard backlight not working on Windows 10 issue
Step (1): First of all, open the File Explorer and navigate to the following path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey
This is the default path of the installation of the drivers. If you have installed it somewhere else then navigate to that path.
Step (2): A folder with multiple files will appear. Here you have to find the HControl.exe file.
Step (3): And once you find the HControl.exe, double click on it to execute the program.
Once the program starts, you should see the backlight turn on. If it doesn’t, try pressing the Fn + F4 key together to check if that turns it on. If this method fixes your problem then you are good to go. If not, there’s one last thing you can try.
Method 4: Use the ASUS Armoury Crate Software
This method is primarily useful for people with Gaming laptops. Armoury Crate (AC) by ASUS is a versatile piece of the system controlling software that allows you to control a lot of things on your laptop. One of them is the keyboard backlighting. To try and fix the Asus keyboard backlight not working Windows 10 problem on an Asus laptop using Armoury Crate you need to:
- At first, download Armoury Crate from the ASUS Official Support website.
- Once downloaded, install the software on your laptop and reboot.
- Now, open ASUS Armoury Crate and click on the gaming console icon on the left side, then click on the System.
- On the System section, click on the Lighting and then scroll down till you see Customize option.
- Click on the Customize option and then click on the OK button if the popup appears.
- Next, look for an Edit button on the right side of the Customize menu which says Customize AURA. Once found, click on it.
- Now customize the lighting as you want from the menu and then click on the OK button to save the changes.
Once you save your keyboard will be compatible and AURA synced once again. This method will most likely fix issues with RGB backlighting on gaming laptops. If it doesn’t then most likely the fault is on a hardware level. I recommend you visit your closest service center to get your laptop checked.
After following these four most effective solutions, your ASUS laptop keyboard backlight not working on Windows 10 problem should be solved by now. But if neither of these methods helped you fix your ASUS keyboard light not working issue then the only option that remains is to get your laptop checked at the hardware level from a service center near you. You can try the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter built-in to windows 10 to try and fix the issue but the chances are quite slim.
We hope these step by step methods here helped you fix the keyboard backlight not working issue on your Asus laptop. We also hope that we were able to thoroughly answer your question – how to fix ASUS laptop keyboard backlight not working on Windows 10? If you have still any questions regarding the ASUS keyboard backlight not working then feel free to ask them in the comments below or just drop us an email and we will surely help you out. Until next time, Ciao!
You may also be interested in checking out:
- How to Fix ASUS Smart Gesture Not Working Windows 10 Issue
- How to Change Keyboard Settings on Windows 10
- How to Fix Windows Spotlight Not Working in Windows 10
- How to Fix Windows 10 Night Light Not Working After Update